Hello and welcome to the Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten informational page and application.
Voluntary Pre-K is an educational program that school districts may apply for on an annual basis and is funded by state and local funds. The purpose of the program is to provide your four-year-old child(ren), identified as being educationally and economically at-risk, with the access to a quality educational environment, in hopes of preparing he or she for future educational success. The program is of no cost to the parent(s)/caregiver(s).
Information about the Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten Application - School Year 2021/2022 (The application can be found below the FAQs.)
Thank you for your interest in the Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten program at Collierville Schools! Collierville Schools has been awarded two classrooms for the 2021-2022 school year, funding for Voluntary Pre-K is determined by the Tennessee Department of Education. We are beginning the screening process now, screening will be completed electronically by submitting the form below.
Applicants must reside in Collierville, TN and be 4 years of age on or before August 15, 2021.
Please see below for a complete list of documents needed to complete the application. Once you begin the application process, you will not be able to save in progress so it is important to have all documents accessible, you will be required to upload these documents below to complete your child(ren)'s application.
- Child’s Certified Birth Certificate
- Child’s Social Security Card
- Child’s Physical and Immunization Record on a Tennessee School Form
- Two (2) Proofs of Residence – Examples may include: driver's license, public/government benefits or assistance, sales contract (contingency agreements not accepted), real estate tax receipt, mortgage information, current MLGW bill or turn on receipt, municipal water bill, rental or lease contract. *Shared residents will have to be approved in person at a later date.
- Proof of Income for all adults in the household – Proof of Income and/or status of current month's salary must be documented for all who work in household (check stubs, W-2, income tax returns, letter of termination, unemployment eligibility, federal assistance eligibility letter)
- Parent’s Photo ID
- If applicable, documents related to special services: IEP (Individualized Education Program), OT (Occupational Therapy), PT (Physical Therapy), Speech, documents, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Does every elementary school at Collierville Schools have a Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten program?
- No. The Tennessee Department of Education provided funding for Collierville Schools to implement two Voluntary Pre-K programs.
- Which Collierville Schools have the Voluntary Pre-Kindergartent program on site?
- Voluntary Pre-K programs are housed inside elementary schools within the Collierville School District. Locations are determined based on the needs of the district as well as space availability within elementary schools. Currently, programs are housed at Collierville Elementary and Schilling Farms Elementary.
- Is my child eligible to participate in the Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten Program?
Student admission into the Voluntary Pre-K program is determined by income eligibility as well as a two-step screening process. Other factors to be considered are:
- The student’s permanent residence must be within the Town of Collierville.
- Children must be four years old by August 15, 2021.
- No child who is eligible for Kindergarten (five years of age on or before August 15, 2021) may be enrolled in Voluntary Pre-K.
- Special services (i.e. speech, other disabilities, language) are considered.
- How do I begin the pre-screening process?
- All applicants must complete an online application found below as part of a pre-screening process. Applicants eligible for additional screening will be contacted by the Department of Curriculum and Accountability to schedule additional screening.
- What are the next steps after completing the application process?
- If your child is selected to participate in the program, you will be contacted via U.S. mail and phone. Student selection is not based on a first come, first served basis, but is based on qualifying risk factors. Student enrollment space is limited. If your child is not accepted into the program, you will be notified by U.S. mail.
- Is transportation provided in the Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten program?
- No. Parents must transport students to and from the school campus daily. Daily attendance is necessary for all students to be successful. Before and after school care is not provided.
- Does my child need to attend every day?
- Yes. All children enrolled in a Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten classroom are required to attend every day. Attendance is very important for a successful year of learning. Daily attendance, including tardiness/early dismissal, is reported to the TN Department of Education.
Please complete the form below for the 2021-2022 VPK application. Required fields are marked with an asterisk.*